Sunday, December 1, 2013

Teaspoon of Honesty

So I was going through some things, and found something I wrote on September 14 in response to a blog post. It's sheer honesty, and kind of painful for me to read back over. I've been posting silly things lately, and please don't take it the wrong way. I don't need calls telling me to "be happy" or to stop talking about you. I am happy, damn it, as happy as I can be in this situation anyways. I've been through a lot of shit, and if I never talk about it guess where it stays? Inside, where it slowly kills me.  If I didn't write I would be depressed. Anyways, here's the original blog post. Read it, it's insightful.
http://www.theworld4realz.com/facebook-is-hard-you-guys/

My reply below:
HollyGoLightly •
I had a...similar...problem. I was forced to choose between family and family. I was at the time entirely dependent on family #1. It was not because I wanted to, but because I was trying trying trying to save any ties to my past, any relationships, anyone who I thought might help me with the major emotional/mental shitstorm at hand. I was dependent on family #1 in regards to housing, food, transportation, and all methods of communication to anyone on "the outside" of  family #1.... I did have internet at the time, and that was my means to say anything. I asked family #2 for help, only I failed at the time to understand why family #2 felt hurt...Family #1 I was born with. Family #2 I chose. It comprised of every friend, every person I loved in the country and community that I was lucky enough to be raised in. I felt guilty for choosing family #2 all over again. I could not imagine my life without any of them. However...the guilt. Maybe I thought it would be fair to give each family a chance because I always heard that family would be there for you when you had no where to sleep at night and no where you could run to, nowhere to charge a laptop, nowhere else to change your clothes or just...listen to music. I hurt both families, and when it came down to it I DID choose family #2 again...so family #1 did not simply let me go...Family #1 decided to punish me swiftly and severely so I was not allowed to "run" until it was...too late. I felt everyone thought I was a burden and I loved family so much how could I possibly hurt them more by existing around them, dragging them into my bullshit? I couldn't do that. I had one chance. One night to wait until they were sleeping, steal a truck with everything I had ever owned that I thought was worth saving from a fire...
This was a while ago to many people in my personal life, but it was hard being my only advocate. Things take a lot longer when you feel like you have been betrayed, scorned, ostracised, judged, and lied to by every single person that you ever trusted. It doesn't matter if that is true or not. Truth may vary depending on which angle you view a situation from...I felt like I forgot to take myself out of that house, so I saved all my precious memories from my friends and families...and let myself burn instead.
It becomes difficult to not rethink every handshake. Every friendship. Every time you trust someone with your name is a huge victory. Fake it till you make it. One day, at some point, you realize you weren't trying and your world didn't implode once again. You have to trust yourself...and in that situation it was difficult but once you find it...once you know it beyond a shadow of a doubt...well then you feel on top of the world and want to be allowed to show it for the few minutes or hours a day that you step outside

P.S. Technology is not my friend, any impression to the contrary that I give is me trying to convince myself that I even know how to turn on one of these new-fangled lappy tops....

2 comments:

  1. I said it on my bloggy-blog where you posted this comment, and I'll say it again here: You are not alone. I will always listen. Our online friends are sometimes the only support we may have in a world full of meanie-faces. Thanks for linking to my post. I hope things are going better for you, and if they aren't please know you can chat me up any time. I used to be Depressed and down and blue and just generally *blah*. Now I've reached that stage of grief known as "anger". I like to think that Depression is when we blame ourselves for the sorry state of the world, whereas Anger is when we place the blame properly on those who deserve such ire. I have this cheesy list of Personal Commandments, the first of which is this: "Happy is a Choice." Now that doesn't mean you can just decide to be happy and it will rain all down on you like glittery sunshine and fill you with glee, which would likewise mean that if you aren't choosing happiness then it's your own fault, which clearly I do not believe. To me, saying "Happy is a Choice" means that no one else is going to put me {or you first}, and so we must each do for ourselves the best we can to find a way to bring peace into our lives. It's a daily decision to try and fight for joy. Some days, a victory for me means that I got out of bed that morning. Seriously. Other days, a victory means I took a shower, got dressed, and left the house. And on some really, really great days... I actually have a nice time and forget how sad or mad I am. The gloom has parted more often in the past year since I've made "Happy is a Choice" into a daily mantra. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I also got some counseling and am on great medication and have a very supportive husband and two sweet kids. So I can understand if you're thinking, "Sure, lady, it's easy for you to say!" From where I'm sitting, it's easier for me than for some, because I have found my place in the world. If you're still looking for where you belong, take heart in knowing that YOU WILL FIND IT, and that you have a friend on the interwebz cheering you on. I'm here. You can email me if you wanna chat more sometime. I don't have answers, not by any means, but I have open ears and plenty of sympathy. {andrejia@hotmail.com} You are not alone. Not EVER. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely incredible, thank you! I love my online friends and I hope I am approachable enough for people to come to me for cheering up when they need it, too. Sometimes making someone else smile turns my whole day around. Happy is a choice is a pretty great mantra, I might have to borrow it from you. :P

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts!